Thursday, October 16, 2008

BODYSLAM

When I was a kid, it seemed like writers lived on another planet. They were as inaccessible as movie stars. Yes, supposedly you could write to their publishers and supposedly the letters would get passed on to the writer. Just like movie stars. I figured if you actually did take the time to write one, you might get an autographed photo or something, but probably not. I was clueless.

But now--NOW--things are much different. Writers are everywhere and I'm not just talking about the twenty-five zillion people who just fancy themselves writers because they paid Lulu a ton of money or Mom told them they wrote a darn good poem when they were 12. I mean the writers you know and admire. The "successful" writers. No, you can't (or at least I can't) just bump into Stephen King at some con, but short of him and others of his caliber, you really can bump into just about anyone. Write to them--they usually write back. Talk to them, hang out with them, drink beer them, etc... In this age, you can actually know your heros and find out they're just regular guys and gals, which is awesome to me. I still doubt it's possible to do that with movie stars though...

Anyway, this was just longwinded way of saying "Holy shit!" I logged into my Facebook account to find that I'd been bodyslammed by Nina Kiriki Hoffman. Me and a few hundred others probably, but still. How cool is that? I love her book A FISTFUL OF SKY. It's amazing. You should definitely check it out. And to get bodyslammed by her, even virtually, made me smile.

Here's to hoping one of your heros bodyslams you sometime soon. It's pretty fucking cool. haha.

1 comment:

Emory B. Pueschel said...

That's one of the reasons I'm into Bizarro. The weirdness is great, but being able to talk to you and everyone else is great.